Thursday, March 14, 2013

Points on Time



Points on Time
Six pieces / 10x13 each
Grass, minerals, dirt, berries, dandelions

"I like to think of landscape not as a fixed place but as a path that is unwinding before my eyes, under my feet."
– Gretel Ehrlich


A key geographical question throughout the human experience has been, "Where am I?" In classical Greece and China, attempts were made to create logical grid systems of the world to answer this question.  But it wasn't until the middle ages that the latitude and longitude system was developed and implemented. This system is written in degrees, using the symbol °. 

These ten newly completed works represent an attempt to discover my sense of place through landscape. Place is latitudinal and longitudinal within the map of a person's life.  It is temporal, spatial and personal.  A layered location replete with human histories and memories, place has width and well as depth.  Having returned to the U.S. after living in Germany, and having moved several times in the past 5 years, I have become increasingly aware of my desire to connect to a specific location.  Working with raw materials from my local landscape and visually interpreting it represents a starting point for understanding my environment.  The awareness of my immediate physical surroundings marks my current time along a continuing path.

at Lilify, Monterey through April.


No comments:

Post a Comment